10 bad habits all working woman need to break, like, yesterday
If you're a woman in corporate America, here are 10 things you should stop doing! Right now!
Because ending the workplace culture of toxic masculinity begins with YOU!
1. Endlessly repeating yourself
Ain't nobody got time for that. My favorite standbys: "Per my last email"..... "As we discussed".... "You remember we decided....."
2. Unnecessarily defending your actions
Newsflash: You have nothing to be sorry for.
3. Unnecessarily apologizing
One more time for the women in the back: YOU. HAVE. NOTHING. TO. BE. SORRY. FOR.
4. Trying to get people to like you rather than respect you
As my summer camp counselor used to say... "Respect is a must. Like is a plus."
5. Doing other people's work for them in order to just "get it finished."
Sometimes? Sure! Gain people's trust, earn brownie points, be a team player, get good karma, etc etc. But EVERY DANG TIME? Aw, hell naw.
6. Being overly critical of your own work
There's no need to point out flaws others may not even notice.
7. Staying silent when witnessing racist and sexist remarks and jokes
This one's tricky, and I struggle with it myself. Any advice appreciated.
8. Worrying about issues that no one else is worrying about
Point them out to the right people, keep it on your "back burner" list, then LET. IT. GO.
9. Feeling guilty
I am a master of feeling guilty, embarrassed, ashamed, offended.... on behalf of others. Who may not even be feeling those feelings themselves! This is a great quality to have, but try not to lose yourself in others.
10. Putting your own work last
I get it. Email is poppin'! Your i.m. is on fire! Meetings are happening! Coworkers want to chitchat and grab lunch! But if you don't put your own work first, no one else will.